Are you excited for our District Pinewood Derby on Saturday, May 5 at the Great Falls Cruisin’ the Drag festival?
We will have races for all dens (Lions through Webelos). All Den races must follow the District Pinewood Derby Rules/Regulations. THERE WILL BE NO CHARGE FOR REGISTERED CUB SCOUTS TO ENTER THEIR DEN RACE.
We will also have a “Master’s/Outlaw Class” race open to ANY participant. Master’s/Outlaw Class races have no rules other than that the car weight shall not exceed 5.0 ounces. Master’s/Outlaw Class participants shall be charged a $10 entrance fee.
Official District Pinewood Derby Rules/Regulations:
Rules: ALL CARS MUST PASS INSPECTION TO QUALIFY FOR THE RACE. The following are inspection points:
- The car weight shall not exceed 5.0 ounces. The official race scale shall be considered final.
- The overall length of the car shall not exceed 7 inches.
- The overall width of the car shall not exceed 2 3/4 inches.
- The car must have 1 3/4 inches clearance between the wheels.
- The car must have 3/8 inch clearance underneath the body.
- The wood provided in the kit must be used. The block may be shaped any way that is desired.
- The wheels supplied with the kit must be used. The wheels may not be cut, drilled, beveled or rounded. All 4 wheels must be able to touch the track surface. You may remove the seam from the wheels.
- The axles supplied with the kit must be used. They may be polished. Wheel bearings, washers or bushings are prohibited.
- The car must not ride on any springs.
- The car must be freewheeling, with no starting devices.
- No loose material of any kind, such as lead shot, may be used.
Each car must pass inspection by the Official Inspection Committee before it will be allowed to compete. The Inspection Committee has the responsibility to disqualify those cars that do not meet these specifications.
Prizes: Medals and trophies will be awarded based on race results
Printable Copy of Pinewood Derby Rules
Scouts, start your engines!
After some trials and tribulations, we WILL be having a Lewis and Clark District Pinewood Derby in Great Falls on Saturday, May 5!
Our District Pinewood Derby will be part of the Cruisin’ the Drag festival on Central Avenue. Exact details are yet to be announced, but the event will be held at (or near) the new Lithia Subaru building on Central. Many, many thanks to Cherry Creek Radio, Lithia Motors, VisionNet Pepsi of Great Falls and Big O Tires for their help so far in getting this event off the ground this year.
Races and awards will be by Den, with events for Lions, Tigers, Wolves, Bears and Webelos/AOL. Awards for each Den will be given for speed and best-of-show design. Standard district rules will apply. There will also be a master class race which anyone can enter. The only rule for the master class race is that cars will be limited to 5oz.
More details to be announced, but plan on a weigh-in at the dealership on the evening of Friday, May 4 with races on May 5!
Investment in Character and Leadership (ICL) is the replacement for Friends of Scouting (FOS). This campaign is our primary method of paying for initiatives like our upcoming Pinewood Derby, the Council Camporee and our ongoing expenses for our camp properties (Melita, K-M, Grizzly, Arcola).
The District needs YOUR help to speak to units in Great Falls this month about ICL during their Blue and Gold Banquets, Courts of Honor and other events. Can you help us? If so, send me a note at email@example.com, and we will schedule a speaker’s training. Please help us make our ICL Family Campaign a success this year!
Weigh the cars again, apply some decals, and attach the sails to the boats…
This is the last week to put the final touches on Pinewood Derby cars and Raingutter Regatta boats. This upcoming Saturday, March 3rd, is the District Derby Day here in Great Falls!
Once again the race will be held at the Paris Gibson Education Center (formerly Paris Gibson Middle School) at 2400 Central Ave. Check-in for cars, big rigs, and boats is Friday night (3/2) from 6:30pm to 8pm in the cafeteria. The racing begins the next morning (Saturday 3/3) at 10am in the gym.
Fee per vehicle entered is $5 and once checked in the cars will remain at Paris Gibson overnight. Everyone is eligible and welcome to enter – there is no requirement that you had to do well in your Pack races. As a matter of fact, if the car or big rig didn’t perform well at a Pack race, feel free to make adjustments before registering on Friday night.
Can’t wait to see everyone at Paris Gibson this weekend!
Boy Scouts of America
Lewis and Clark District
District Roundtable and Meeting
LDS Stake Center, 1015 15th Ave S
February 7, 2012
- Roundtables/Training Features of the Month, 6:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.: Topics: Upcoming Derby Day, Logging Community Service Hours, Voice of the Scout Surveys and issues with Youth Protection during recharter process.
- Opening Ceremony, 7:30 p.m.
- Approval of the Minutes of the January meeting
- Welcome, introductions and recognitions
- Wood Badge Beading
- Are you interested in serving as PR chair? We need your help!
- Old/New Business (break into committee meetings for 15-30 minutes)
- Upcoming Events – Scout Week, Scout Sunday, Scout Shabbat, Derby Day, Scouting for Food, Venture Winter Mountaineering Trip, Spaghetti Dinner to benefit LaBelle family.
- Upcoming Trainings – Leader Specific Training, Wood Badge 2012, Powderhorn 2012
- Medicine River Scout Center
- Camping Committee: Klondike Derby Wrap-Up; Trail to First Class; Spring Camporee
- District Executive Report
- Membership Actual vs. Goal
- Finance Actual vs. Goal
- District Commissioner Report
- Unit Charter Renewal
- Unit Commissioners
- District Chair Report
- District Elections to be held during March meeting
- Journey to Excellence Status Report
- Other Business
- Closing Ceremony
- Adjournment. Next meeting March 6, 2012, 6:30 p.m. at LDS Stake Center, 1015 15th Avenue South
Lewis and Clark District – a Centennial Quality District
- January District Meeting and Agenda (lcdistrictcommittee.wordpress.com)
- Spaghetti Dinner (troop26greatfalls.wordpress.com)
- Sign Up for Wood Badge 2012 Today! (lcdistrictcommittee.wordpress.com)
- December District Meeting and Agenda (lcdistrictcommittee.wordpress.com)