Pinewood Derby Racers – are you ready?
The 2018 Lewis and Clark District Pinewood Derby Will be Saturday, May 5 as part of the Crusin’ the Drag celebration on Central Avenue! Our race will be in the Lithia dealership off Central.
We will have races and prizes for all Dens, Lion – Webelos/AOL! Registration fees will be ZERO for all Den Races, which will follow our standard District rules. There will also be a Master’s/Outlaw Class race with no rules other than that a car must be 5.0 ounces or less.
Register for our race today at https://form.jotform.com/80913939509164!
Are you excited for our District Pinewood Derby on Saturday, May 5 at the Great Falls Cruisin’ the Drag festival?
We will have races for all dens (Lions through Webelos). All Den races must follow the District Pinewood Derby Rules/Regulations. THERE WILL BE NO CHARGE FOR REGISTERED CUB SCOUTS TO ENTER THEIR DEN RACE.
We will also have a “Master’s/Outlaw Class” race open to ANY participant. Master’s/Outlaw Class races have no rules other than that the car weight shall not exceed 5.0 ounces. Master’s/Outlaw Class participants shall be charged a $10 entrance fee.
Official District Pinewood Derby Rules/Regulations:
Rules: ALL CARS MUST PASS INSPECTION TO QUALIFY FOR THE RACE. The following are inspection points:
- The car weight shall not exceed 5.0 ounces. The official race scale shall be considered final.
- The overall length of the car shall not exceed 7 inches.
- The overall width of the car shall not exceed 2 3/4 inches.
- The car must have 1 3/4 inches clearance between the wheels.
- The car must have 3/8 inch clearance underneath the body.
- The wood provided in the kit must be used. The block may be shaped any way that is desired.
- The wheels supplied with the kit must be used. The wheels may not be cut, drilled, beveled or rounded. All 4 wheels must be able to touch the track surface. You may remove the seam from the wheels.
- The axles supplied with the kit must be used. They may be polished. Wheel bearings, washers or bushings are prohibited.
- The car must not ride on any springs.
- The car must be freewheeling, with no starting devices.
- No loose material of any kind, such as lead shot, may be used.
Each car must pass inspection by the Official Inspection Committee before it will be allowed to compete. The Inspection Committee has the responsibility to disqualify those cars that do not meet these specifications.
Prizes: Medals and trophies will be awarded based on race results
Printable Copy of Pinewood Derby Rules
Scouts, start your engines!
After some trials and tribulations, we WILL be having a Lewis and Clark District Pinewood Derby in Great Falls on Saturday, May 5!
Our District Pinewood Derby will be part of the Cruisin’ the Drag festival on Central Avenue. Exact details are yet to be announced, but the event will be held at (or near) the new Lithia Subaru building on Central. Many, many thanks to Cherry Creek Radio, Lithia Motors, VisionNet Pepsi of Great Falls and Big O Tires for their help so far in getting this event off the ground this year.
Races and awards will be by Den, with events for Lions, Tigers, Wolves, Bears and Webelos/AOL. Awards for each Den will be given for speed and best-of-show design. Standard district rules will apply. There will also be a master class race which anyone can enter. The only rule for the master class race is that cars will be limited to 5oz.
More details to be announced, but plan on a weigh-in at the dealership on the evening of Friday, May 4 with races on May 5!
SCOUTERS: There is a new, very high quality Youth Protection Course available from the BSA. EVERY Scout leader must take that course by October 1, 2018. In addition, ANY adult (person over 18) that spends more than 72 (non-consecutive) hours with a Scout unit must also take this course. If you have not completed YPT2 yet, log on to my.scouting.org and Get’rdone!
More info here: https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2018/03/16/every-scouter-must-complete-the-updated-youth-protection-training-by-oct-1-2018/
Can you help teach one of the classes at our Outdoor Leader Training, April 13-14 at Holter Lake? If you can help, please contact Aaron Weissman, firstname.lastname@example.org or 406-868-8982.
We will keep this post updated with confirmed trainers for the class:
Hello Lewis and Clark District!
We have some exciting plans for some great adult training opportunities this Spring! Each Youth DESERVES a TRAINED leader. Can you be the trained hero that let’s your boys go to a campout?
Please mark your unit calendars today for these upcoming Training opportunities that your District is organizing for this Fall:
- YOUTH PROTECTION: YPT2 is now available at my.scouting.org/. Anyone registered with the BSA must take the new training prior to October 1, 2018. For more information, see this note from our council commissioner.
- BALOO and IOLS: We will offer BALOO (Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation) and IOLS (Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills) as a combined class/campout at the Trail to First Class campout at Holter Lake, April 13-15, 2018. Participants will receive their certification in both trainings.
- Train the Trainer: This Spring we are going to offer a Train the Trainer class. We hope to build a deep bench of certified trainers so that all units can easily get their adults trained! This training will be held on Saturday, May 19, location TBA.
Please mark your calendars for these training opportunities. If you are trained and you are available to help teach some of these classes, please drop me a note at email@example.com or call me at 868-8982.
Thanks for all you do for the youth in Scouting!
Lewis and Clark District Training Chair