The Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts of the Lewis and Clark District did an amazing job these last two weeks with the food drive! Nearly 27,000 bags were distributed throughout our city last weekend, and over 21,000 pounds of food was collected, delivered to the Food Bank and sorted today. The donations we worked so hard to collect will keep the Food Bank’s shelves filled for months to come, and will greatly aid those less fortunate than us. I would like to thank D. A. Davidson and Super 1 Foods for their contributions this year! We couldn’t have done this without their help. I would also like to thank our Scouting For Food Committee for another successful food drive. Great Job scouts and scouters!
Scouting For Food Committee Chair
Our annual Scout Night with the Voyagers will take place on Friday, August 18th, 2017. Please see attachment for registration and information.
Trail to First Class is right around the corner!
Click the link below for this year’s info!
Trail to First Class
Calling All Scouts and Scouters, it’s that time again. The Annual District Banquet will be held Friday, May 5th, 6:00-9:00 at The Salvation Army Center. This is our District’s annual celebration of Scouting in our local community. All Scouting Families of the Lewis and Clark District are encouraged to attend. There is no fee for this event. This is an opportunity for our Scouters to socialize and share success stories and celebrate their unit achievements. Several Unit, District, and Council awards will be presented, including the District Award of Merit. As a very minimum we would like to see the Key 3 (Unit Leader, Committee Chair, Chartered Organization Representative) of each unit in our District attend. Please take a few minutes to nominate at least one worthy Scouter in our District that you feel is doing an outstanding job. Links to the Nomination forms are also included with this newsletter. Please return all Nomination forms to me, Brad Weaver or Dustin Shoemake by April 15th, 2017. Please confirm your participation of this event by April 28, 2017. Please send your confirmation to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Looking forward to seeing you all there on May 5th!
District Award of Merit
Outstanding Scout of the Year
Scouter of the Year
Senior Scouter of the Year
Unit Leader of the Year
Volunteer of the Year
The Shriners are looking for Scout units to perform flag ceremonies at the Shrine Circus. The available performances are April 14 at 4 pm (school holiday) and April 15 at 11 am, 3 pm and 7 pm. Please contact Greg Pinski at email@example.com as soon as possible if your unit can help.
There were a few Packs and Troops that did not pick up their bags and fliers for the food drive. Please make contact with Dustin Shoemake in order to pick up your supplies. He has all remaining supplies downstairs at his office.
The 23rd Annual Scouting For Food is taking place the weekends of March 18th and March 25th.
I will be at the Pinewood Derby this weekend (March 4th) at the Salvation Army to hand out bags, fliers and instructions for each unit. I ask that each Boy Scout and Cub Scout unit please send a representative to the Pinewood Derby so that the bags and fliers can be picked up. Should only take 5 minutes to pick-up the bags!
March 18th will be the bag drop off, when each unit will place bags and fliers at each home located in their assigned area.
March 25th will be the food pick-up, when each unit will return to their assigned area and pick-up the bags of food that the residents have placed on their porches.
I have attached the instruction page that will be handed out at the derby this weekend, please review and let me know if you have any questions. This is a huge undertaking and benefits the Great Falls Community Food Bank. Last year the district raised over 20,000 pounds of food for those in need! With your help, we can raise even more this year!! Please send a representative to the Pinewood Derby this weekend to pick up your Scouting For Food Supplies! Again, this should only take 5 minutes! Thanks!
Yours In Scouting,
Long time Lewis and Clark District Scouter Joe Briggs has organized an interesting and informative day for Boy Scouts at the Montana Legislature this coming Monday, February 20. This opportunity meets requirements for rank as well as merit badge advancement. If you are going, please contact Joe Briggs and let him know how many boys and adults to expect. You can reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Troops to meet in the Rotunda of the Capitol at 8 AM.
- During the course of the day Scouts will attend committee hearings on bills.
- Troops will observe a floor session of the House and Senate
- Troops will meet with legislative leaders from both parties
- Troops will get a tour of the Capitol
- Troops will meet with Statewide elected officials. It varies from year to year but generally we have met with the Governor or Lt Governor as well as the Secretary of State. The boys will have the opportunity to ask these folks about their roles in State Government. This could meet First Class rank requirement 9a.
- Troops should bring a sack lunch for their attendees as it is difficult to leave the grounds and return during the lunch break. We will attempt to secure a room that we can eat in.
- Scouts should be in uniform and will be expected to be on good behavior.
- Two deep leadership or more is required and parents are also welcome to attend. Scouts younger than 2nd year Webelos should not be in attendance.
- The day at the capital ends at 3:30 pm and the troops head home.
- As we get the various appointments set up in regard to the elected officials we will let the District know.
- The logistics can be challenging in the Capitol so the earlier we can have a good idea of how many adults and boys are attending the better. It can be difficult to find hearings rooms, meeting locations with the elected officials and a lunch space large enough for the group. The earlier we can get those arrangements made the easier it is on everyone.
In this month’s newsletter:
Merit Badge Academy
4 Ways to Stay Connected
Your Feedback Matters!
In the Next 90 Days
Scouts at the State Legislature
District Pinewood Derby
Haunted Klondike Results
Scouting for Food Drive
Click here for February 2017 newsletter!
4 Ways to Stay Connected
In the next 90 Days
Francis Allison Memorial Chariot Race- Thank you!
Investment in Character & Leadership
Merit Badge Academy
Exciting Improvements to K-M Scout RanchEat Wings, Support Montana Scouts!
Click here for January 2017 newsletter!